Empowerment Parenting is an exciting way to parent today’s child. More punishment, control and coercion is NOT the answer, neither is abdicating control to your children! We cannot continue to parent our children the way we did when they were younger children, or even the way our parents parented us. The world is different! Children are different! If we do not learn new innovations in parenting, our efforts will likely be ineffective at best, and actually destructive at their worst.
- Understand your basic needs and the needs of each of your children.
- Empowerment parenting teaches you how to meet your own needs, while helping your children meet theirs in responsible ways.
- Discriminate between doing to, doing for, and doing with your children.
- Empowered parents know how to negotiate the inherent conflict between parents and children – parents wanting to keep their children safe, while children want to live with reckless abandon.
- Apply these skills to any relationship in your life to create happy, supportive, caring relationships.
The first of June was declared the Global Day of Parents by the United Nations. In my experience, there is no greater love than the love parents have for their children. Parents deserve to be celebrated. It’s the one job almost everyone can do with zero training—other...
In honor of National Foster Care Month, I wanted to write an article about the truth of foster care: There is a beautiful side of foster care and there is a diabolical side. I will write about both, as well as my opinion of what a great foster parent looks like and...
May is Foster Care Awareness Month. Foster care is a strong interest and personal cause of mine. I spent 17 years working with a specialized foster care agency in Pennsylvania. I loved the work and the kids I met during my tenure, even though there were some practices...
Learn a Win-Win Approach to Parenting