Empowerment Parenting is an exciting way to parent today’s child. More punishment, control and coercion is NOT the answer, neither is abdicating control to your children! We cannot continue to parent our children the way we did when they were younger children, or even the way our parents parented us. The world is different! Children are different! If we do not learn new innovations in parenting, our efforts will likely be ineffective at best, and actually destructive at their worst.
- Understand your basic needs and the needs of each of your children.
- Empowerment parenting teaches you how to meet your own needs, while helping your children meet theirs in responsible ways.
- Discriminate between doing to, doing for, and doing with your children.
- Empowered parents know how to negotiate the inherent conflict between parents and children – parents wanting to keep their children safe, while children want to live with reckless abandon.
- Apply these skills to any relationship in your life to create happy, supportive, caring relationships.
Whenever there is a conflict or disagreement, the natural inclination of both parties is to fight for their way. Humans are wired to win. Our need for power must be satisfied somehow, and we learn very early how to power over other people to get what we want....
I am always grateful for meaningful learning opportunities, but I generally prefer them more when I don’t look like an idiot in the process! I have been traveling in Asia and was repeatedly struck by people’s concerns about pleasing their parents, even parents that...
If you and your spouse have decided to divorce, for your children’s sake, you must cooperatively parent them through your divorce as a team. Even if it seems like one day your spouse announced to you he or she wants a divorce, you can be certain your spouse considered it for a long time. Divorce is rarely an easy snap decision, especially when kids are involved.
Learn a Win-Win Approach to Parenting